2003 Dodge Durango Front Suspension Diagram

Joined

·

140 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi guys

I need to change out my tie rods and ball joints want need some advise. I'd like to try and replace everything I can so I'd like some input from you guy on everything I need to replace. I have a 98 5.9L 4X4

Thanks in advance.

Paul

skitzo.d

Joined

·

5,617 Posts

I'd replace upper and lower BJ's if they're bad. The inner and outter tie rods are an easy change out, but you'll need an alignment after. If there's a bunch of play in the steering, you could tighten the adjuster bolt on the steering box a bit, but don't adjust it too much, you'll wear everything out prematurely. The lower BJ is a real pain to replace, but the uppers aren't too bad. I did my uppers in my garage without too much trouble.

Good luck

Dans01Durango

Joined

·

1,393 Posts

grantos

Joined

·

838 Posts

Dans01Durango said:

This is a pdf download not a complete list, but HTH.
www.mediafire.com/?lzjgjnj0tem

Wow, that's some pretty good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Dans01Durango

Joined

·

1,393 Posts

Credit goes to a member from another forum. I'm just a link to the site. :)

Joined

·

8,067 Posts

Go with aftermarket pieces for the front end, and use Moog parts when available. They give you the benefit of greasable balljoints and every other joint as well. They make parts for the entire front end. You'll need a balljoint press to remove the lower balljoints. These are available for rent/free from some parts stores and rental shops. Get an alignment after doing the front end work. Also, take a good look at the rest of the steering linkage, all the way to the shat itself, as there may be wear that should be addressed there. Good luck.

Neil

Joined

·

2,251 Posts

Dans01Durango said:

Credit goes to a member from another forum. I'm just a link to the site. :)

And I in turn had passed it on from another forum

That pdf should be a sticky

skitzo.d

Joined

·

5,617 Posts

Neil said:

Dans01Durango said:

Credit goes to a member from another forum. I'm just a link to the site. :)

And I in turn had passed it on from another forum

That pdf should be a sticky

It is now. :clap:

Joined

·

140 Posts

Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks but I still don't know what needs to be replaced and what doesn't. I have $187 and some change with nothing but the lower ball joints replaced.

midnite

Joined

·

2,699 Posts

check with the dealership. I know they had a recall on the 4x4's and when I had to change out mine, some of them were under warranty.

Dans01Durango

Joined

·

1,393 Posts

Wait, I get part credit for a sticky?!?!?! :mrgreen:

Neil

Joined

·

2,251 Posts

midnite said:

check with the dealership. I know they had a recall on the 4x4's and when I had to change out mine, some of them were under warranty.

I know the recall wasn't applicable to 98-99. I forget got what year it started. It might have been 01+

doogle11

Joined

·

34 Posts

If you have not changed out Ball joints like these before I would consider looking into possible buy upper and lower control arms with the bushings and ball joints already installed. Or maybe just taking the control arms off and take them to a shop and let them do it . Trust me you will be throwing wrenches and cursing and kicking dent in your ride the ball joints are a major pain in the @ss.

ThackerJ95

Joined

·

35 Posts

I did my upper and lower ball joints at the same time. Not that bad. Mine was still factory and had to grind them out. Not that bad. Just a little work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThackerJ95

Joined

·

35 Posts

About 2 and half hours for both sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joined

·

9 Posts

I looked through the recalls I have seen already, my 98 does not seem to be on lists for ball joints. It took me about 14 hours to grind/drill out the old upper ball joints, with a major cramp or two toward the end of the first day. My 98 has now 132K on the dial... after I took care of uppers (done approximately 3K miles ago). I strongly suspect my lowers are as bad as the uppers. How long will this take me to take apart the lowers? Part of this is time is doing this for the first time. Once I have done it, obviously I have got past the learning curve.

FSTDANGO3

Joined

·

28,308 Posts

Pretty big job
You will need a ball joint press tool. Get Moogs you wont be sorry
STEVE

Joined

·

49 Posts

It honestly isn't that hard, just time consuming. I did all 4 ball joints and the outer tie rod ends on my Durango sitting in a driveway. Lower's were a bear, but it was the first time I had done press outs. Now that I've done it, they aren't that bad.

When I do my front axles though I'm intending on replacing the entire control arms so I get new bushings as well. And I agree with going Moog or some major name brand for the ball joints, but not for the reasons above. The cheaper knock offs such as Oreilly's generic master pro ones you can't buy boots for if you make a mistake or have to disassemble them again later.

Joined

·

22 Posts

I just did the entire front endowment 01Durango. It wasn't that bad. The most important thing is that you have the proper tools. If you go to a place like auto zone make sure the ball joint press is not cracked, I went through three kits and eventually made my own spacer ring. Also make sure you get the right inner tire rod extension wrench. A lot of loaner kits are not designed for dodge Durango, believe me there is nothing more frustrating than being told you have the correct equipment only to find out you don't. When replacing inner and outer tire rod s, upper and lower ball joints, check your hubs and shocks while you are into it, and as mentioned by other members. get an alignment. Do not forget to count how many turns to take off your outer tire rods. Another huge help is to check out you tube videos if you are not sure how to do something. Good luck it's really not that bad and spray all nuts with lubricant, I use pb buster works great, just give it a little of time to working

Joined

·

160 Posts

Did my ball joints this week and it was a PITA. The uppers have 3 rivets each and took me way too much time. I did the left with an air chisel and it took about 3 hours. On the right I broke down and bought a dremel (which was in waaay over its head) and with the combination of cutting and using the air chisel I got the right one out in about an hour and a half. Once the rivet heads were cut I had to use an air hammer to pop the rivets out. It was the biggest challenge of my whole front end rebuild.

When researching this I saw some people say the lower ball joints were easy as long as you had a press and some say they were really tough. I think (although I could be wrong here) that it depends on whether you have a 2wd or 4wd. The 4wd, I believe, has the type of BJ's that can be pressed out. My 2wd had ones that were riveted in (4 rivets) and were stamped in between two pieces of metal unlike the tops that only went through 1 piece. On this type it is sooo much easier to go ahead and just replace the control arm.

The star bit for the lower control arm is a T55 and can be a tough one to loosen up.

My advice if you choose to tackle this is to make sure you have a tool capable of cutting those rivets somewhat quickly. If you can do that the job is not too bad.

Source: https://www.dodgedurango.net/threads/parts-list-for-the-front-end.10871/

Posted by: jonniejonniegooedgineea0251663.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post